Bratislava, Slovak Republic, July 8-11, 2015

Social Program

A range of social events will be offered to the ROCOND´15 Symposium attendees and accompanying persons.

Official Social Programme (included in the Registration Fee)

8. 7. 2015

Welcome Drink and Guided Tour of the Primate´s Palace

The ROCOND‘15 Welcome drink the will take place in the Primate’s Palace in the Old Town of Bratislava; this will be combined with an exclusive guided visit of this beautiful building which is now office of the Mayor of Bratislava.

The Primate‘s Palace (in Slovak: Primaciálny palác) is a neoclassical palace in Bratislava's Old Town built from 1778 to 1781 for the Archbishop József Batthyány. The palace and mainly its Hall of Mirrors hosted many important events. Perhaps the most famous of them is the signing of the fourth Peace of Pressburg after the Battle of Austerlitz in 1805 which effectively ended the War of the Third Coalition.

9. 7. 2015

Symposium Banquet

The Symposium Banquet will take place in the Radisson Blu Carlton Hotel (conference site) starting with the concert of the Violin Orchestra Bratislava.

Performance of the Slovak State Traditional Dance Company „SĽUK“

SĽUK is a unique ensemble representing traditional dance, music, musical instruments, and costumes of Slovakia. For more than 60 years it has produced many artistic programs inspired by Slovak folk art. SĽUK has left a considerable mark on Slovakia‘s culture and has become synonymous with folk art traditions in modern performance. 

10. 7. 2015

Hummel String Quartet

Hummel Quartet was established in 2006 at the Academy of Performing Arts in Bratislava. Today, it consists of the Symphony Orchestra and the Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra members. In addition to classical quartet repertoire dedicated to chamber music its repertoire includes works of all periods with a particular focus on pieces of Slovak composers.

 

11. 7. 2015

Closing Ceremony

The last official social event of the ROCOND´15 Symposium will be the Closing Ceremony at the Radisson Blu Carlton Hotel on July 11.

 

Day Trips & Tours (not included in the Registration Fee)

Devin Castle

The Devin Castle is one of the oldest historically documented castles in Slovakia mentioned already in 864. Located at the confluence of the Danube and Morava rivers, the place has been inhabited since prehistoric times, and was a part of the Roman border defence system Limes. In 1809, the castle was destroyed by the Napoleon's army. Since the 30´s, archaeological research was carried out in different parts of the castle. In 1961 the Devin Castle was declared a national cultural monument.

The Red Stone Castle

The Red Stone Castle (Hrad Červený Kameň) is situated in the south-western Slovakia in the Small Carpathians. Originally a medieval castle, it was built in the 13th century as part of the chain of the country frontier defence castles ranging from Bratislava to Žilina. Two noble families played the most significant role in the history of the castle: the German family of Fugger and the Austria-Hungarian family of Pálffy.

The Fugger family obtained the castle from the previous owner and business partner, the Thurzo family. This was how the Red-Stone estate and the gothic castle became a property of one of the richest business families of former Europe in 1535.

Anton Fugger was an educated, rich and capable businessman. He decided to utilize the strategic position of Red Stone, situated close to Bratislava and Vienna and to transform it into a safe storehouse for goods traded across the whole Europe.

However, due to increasing danger of Turks´ attacks, business plans of the Fugger family in this part of Europe grew gradually weaker, and finally they decided to sell the castle. In 1588, Mikulas II Pálffy became owner of the whole estate and won also heart of the granddaughter of Anton Fugger. The Pálffy family owned the castle from 1588 until the end of the World War II. During this period the castle was rebuilt several times, and finally turned into a comfortable seat. The last owner of the Pálffy family left in 1945. Thereafter, the castle was proclaimed a national cultural property. In 1949 and made available for the public as a museum presenting historical accommodation of aristocracy and military development.

The Castle is one of the best preserved Slovak Castles and is a must stop on the Small Carpathian Wine route.

Small Carpathian Wine Route

Traditionally, Bratislava has been a city of excellent cuisine and delicious wine. A very popular sightseeing tour driving through historical viticulture towns of the south-western wine region (Modra, Pezinok, Svätý Jur) is known as the Small Carpathian Wine Route. The route includes selected cellars where one can learn more about the craft and sample the best wines from the previous season.